Gluten free cherry and choc chip muffins
Having just moved house and having to change my daily routine, I have struggled to find the time to eat breakfast before work. Nowa days, like a growing number of people with busy lives, I eat breakfast when I get to work.
There are some great quick and easy gluten free breakfast products available from all good supermarkets, but sometimes I just fancy something a bit different rather than cereal bars, fruit and youghurt and instant porridge.
These cherry and chocolate chip muffins make a great breakfast as they are filling and I am counting the cherries as part of my one of my five a-day. They are more a treat, and perhaps not to be eaten all of the time, you can make a batch of them and then freeze them.
This recipe makes 12 muffins.
3 eggs, weighed in their shells
equal weight of:
Gluten free self-raising flour
1 tablespoon xantham gum
1 tsp vanilla extract/essence
350g glace cherries cut into halves
150g milk chocolate chips
1. Ensure that all your ingredients are at room temperature, and preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Weigh your eggs in their shells, and make a note of the exact weight. Weigh out this much butter and caster sugar, and cream together until light, fluffy and pale.
3. Crack in the eggs, and beat until combined. Sieve in the flour and xantham gum and mix. Be careful that you don’t over mix the flour into the batter as you will make the mix tough.
4. Put the cherries and chocolate chips in a bowl and then mix in 1 tablespoon of flour to coat them. This will stop them falling to the bottom of the cake mix. Once you have coated the cherries and chocolate chip in the gluten free flour, mix into the cake batter.
5. Spoon the mixture into muffin cases. For even sized muffins, use an ice cream scoop. Put into the oven and bake for approx 20 minutes, or until golden in colour and when you touch them, they spring back at you.
6. Leave to cool and enjoy with a cup of tea.
Happy gluten free baking 🙂
Posted on December 4, 2014, in Food and tagged baking, choc chip muffins, chocolate chip muffins, food, Food allergies, gluten free, gluten free baking, gluten free breakfasts, gluten free cakes, Gluten free cherry and choc chip cakes], gluten free cherry and choc chip muffins, gluten free cherry cakes, gluten free diet, Samantha pidoux. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.